Friday, June 20, 2008

Country Living

I wanted to show you the progress on our garden. We
went from Winter to Summer. When it finally got warm
the garden said "Thank You" and really
started to grow. We had a bad frost on June 10
that made us have to replant a few things. It even frosted
under the coverings that we had. We have been
eating a few radishes and will soon have strawberries.
YUM! The egg on the right is a large grade AA egg purchased from the grocery
store. The Brown egg on the left is from one of Sue's chickens.
It is actually about 1/3 smaller than the egg she gave us a couple
of weeks ago. I asked her if that chicken had died! I am sure
it let out some chicken expletives as it was laying it.
This will become my pride and joy asparagus patch in
a couple of years. I know it doesn't look like much right
now....but it will. More and more are coming up. There
for awhile I didn't think that anything would happen. We planted 48 roots! Asparagus takes awhile to get established, but then you have a 20 year crop. We are excited to watch it grow. We may get a bite next year, maybe not. But the year after, we should get a couple of cuttings.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

good lookin' garden mom and dad!

Anonymous said...

The garden looks great! I love asparagus but I'm such an immediate gratification person that I haven't had the patience to wait three years for a crop.

Anonymous said...

I miss both of you! It looks like everything is great with you, and your garden is amazing! Hope you enjoy a big harvest this fall.
My mom would be really jealous if she saw it. She grew up with a big garden, but our dirt near our house is rotten for planting.