Sunday, August 3, 2008

Pope Family Reunion 2008

I know that the highlight of this reunion for me was the flag ceremony that was put on by Alex and Phillip. Stan and I had bought a flagpole for the reunion site for the last reunion, but it was decided not to put it up, because none of my sons were able to be there. But my dad installed the pole earlier this week and it was ready to go.
The beginning march.
Raising the flag.

This is a special flag. Alex had flown with it for over 500 combat hours while he was on tour in Afghanistan. Alex stated that as he had given a few of these flags to select people, he had asked them to be flown in a country that was free, because they had never seen freedom before. Both Phillip and Alex had a presentation which let everyone known the depth of their feelings for the country they serve. There were a lot of wet eyes as the program progressed. I appreciated the family that came to me and told me how much the program had meant to them. It meant a LOT to me and represented things that are hard to express and emotions that are hard to suppress. I want everyone to know how pleased Stan and I are with our sons, their patriotism and their determination to do the hard things--for the right reasons. Isaac is serving in Afghanistan right now, that is one of the reasons that he was not able to be part of this ceremony. He is doing hard things, in harms way, making sacrifices for the freedoms that we enjoy.






This is Alex and Phillip standing at attention, listening to my dad's presentation on his service in WWII. This was the first time that I had ever heard that my grandfather, his father served as a medic in WWI.My Dad with my boys. My dad is shrinking a little. I know that comes with age, but it was very obvious here. Phillip is 6'5", Alex is 6', my dad used to be 6'2". My dad looks great. I don't think he looks like a man pushing 90!



All of my brothers and sisters were able to be there. Unfortunately, not all of us were there at the same time, so we are missing one brother in this picture. This is a picture of all us us from the oldest to the youngest.



Bill, Randal, Doris, Pat, Mary,(Terrel is missing), Charles, Deidra, Rick, Rob, Tisha, & Taylor.
This just another view. There were some really creeky knees in this one.
This picture includes my dad and his wife Marjorie on the left. Dad (Bill Pope) will turn 87 in September.
We just arrived home from an unfortunatly short family reunion. We were able to have Alex, Brydie and their children, Phillip, and Rachel and Endrit attend this year. It was too short. I wish we could have arrived at least a day earlier, but it was great. Brydie and the kids drove down with us. The kids did great. It was so fun to watch them make friends with children their own age and have a great time. Phillip waited for Alex to get off work and they drove down together. Rachel and Endrit planned a temple trip to Montecello and left before all of us. They were able to attend the temple and be our welcoming committee when we got there and helped us set up camp. It would have been hard to get it all done before dark without them.



My brother, Charels, and his wife, Gloria, are so gracious. They have built this wonderful facility for family reunions that includes a bath house, divided into mens and women's; with two showers and two toilets in each side. It is wonderful to be able to camp out and maintain a level of cleanliness at the same time. We are so grateful for them and their generosity.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that the reunion went so well. I loved attending those. Perhaps next time. Who knows where the Army will have me in two years.
I am pleased to see that Fred and Alex were able to raise the flag together.