Sunday, November 21, 2010

Guess what was on sale?










Butter has gone up so much in price here lately! For Thanksgiving, the store brand was on a really good sale. I've been waiting and hoping for this for awhile. So....I canned butter....lots of butter! I will tell how this is done.
1. Wash and put your glass jars in a 250 degree oven for a half hour.
2. While the jars are heating, unwrap your butter and, on low, melt it in a sauce pan.
3. When it is all melted, increase your heat to medium, stirring constantly, bring it to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. The butter will get foamy. At the end of 5 minutes, the foam will be gone.
4. While the butter is boiling, have your lids in a sauce pan and simmer them for 3 minutes.
5. Ladle the butter into the jars with a 3/4 inch head space, wipe the rims, tighten the rings.
6. Wait for the lids to ping, seal, then shake the jars. Set an alarm and shake them every 10 minutes.
7. After about a half hour, set the jars in the refrigerator, continue shaking them until the butter is set. If you don't do the shaking part, the oil and solids will be separated and it won't be any good. It has a shelf life of three years.
It spreads easier, and makes really great cookies. I started doing this about a year ago and I like using the 'canned' butter better than fresh. I also know I have a supply, even if I don't have power!

No comments: