Sunday, January 4, 2009

2008-2009!

I have thought a great deal about last year and the new year that is here. Last year had a lot of challenges that went with it. The dynamics of our family changed; that was sad, but everyone is getting on with their lives and things are getting better. Isaac served honorably in Afghanistan...and is home safe with his family. Stan and I did a lot around our home and yard, our construction is finished, at least the construction that was started. Hopefully 2009 will see us with at least a shell of a garage, the ice of winter is letting us know that REALLY needs to happen. Our walkway is an accident waiting to happen, all of the snow and ice sluff off right where we need to walk, and there are no sidewalks to shovel, hence, it is very dangerous. I was able to find out and have surgery on something that has hurt for over 28 years. That is still a condition in progress, but by the end of 2009 I am hoping to be pain free and in better shape than I have been in years. I have some physical therapy in front of me; when the doctor decides I'm healed enough to handle it. I'm looking forward to building some muscle mass and loosing the weight I've gained with the forced inactivity.

I want everyone to know how grateful I am for my life. I love my husband and my children and grandchildren. All of us are trying to be better people all the time. I'm so grateful for my comfortable home, for the dependable transportation we have to get us to work and back and do all of the things we run around to do. I'm grateful that we are better prepared for, whatever, than we were a year ago. It is fun to see the shelves full and to work on some of the things that haven't been a priority in years past, because it couldn't be. I'm grateful for the country I live in, for the freedoms it affords me. I will fight to maintain those freedoms. I'm grateful for those who 'physically' fight for those freedoms. I have an abundance of food and clothes and all things that make life comfortable and good.

Mostly I'm grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ. Through His atonement, I have peace in my life. I'm so grateful for His example, for how He is always there for me, it's just up to me to let Him in. I'm grateful for living Prophets, who were prepared for THIS time. Whenever there is a something that causes confusion in so many people, I'm so grateful that I can stand on the side of the Brethren; not because I am a blind follower (those who know me well know that is something I will NEVER be), but because I have a testimony that they are called of God and will never lead me astray. Not only that, but I have prayed and received answers that let me know I can stand with the Brethren in confidence.

There have been those who have asked me, "What if you die and find out that everything you have believed in is wrong?" My answer to them is that I have a testimony, it's there, it's what stabilizes my life and gives me strength to face whatever challenge has come my way. If I have somehow been lead astray, I can't have gone too far wrong in trying to live a good life and be good to those around me. I know that when I truly live what I believe, I have had a profound peace in my life, I haven't had consuming doubts, I've been able to move forward with courage. I have confidence that my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ loves me. I have felt the inspiration and direction of the Holy Ghost. Who could ask for anything more than that.

I want to share my testimony that I know the restored gospel of Jesus Christ is true! I know that Joseph Smith was and is the Prophet of the restoration. I know that President Monson is the living prophet on the earth today. I recognize and am grateful for the 'tender mercies' that I have, and know that I will continue to receive.

In this the year 2009, I want to become a better person. I want my testimony to grow. I want my family to draw closer to each other, to love each other more, overlook or, better yet, help improve each other's faults. I want to face with poise and serenity any challenge that may come my way.

I wish you all a wonderful New Year, that blessings will come into each of our lives, that we will each be able to gracefully handle any challenges that arise.

No comments: