Last Thanksgiving was the first time I had made cranberry sauce. It was great. After Thanksgiving, all of the fresh berries were frozen and then put on sale. $1 in stead of $3 per bag. I put them in my freezer and finally, yesterday, canned my own sauce. Isaac wanted to see pictures of my 'steam' canner. This takes the place of the water bath canner. You only have about 3inches of water, which comes to a boil SO much faster. This shows the base. The jars are on a rack above the water.
This shows the cover. You can see the small hole in the side, there is another one on the opposite side.
When the steam comes out in a steady stream, you start the count time. It comes with a booklet showing all the times. This does NOT replace a pressure canner for meats and vegetables.
We were able to put up 16 pts of cranberry sauce, 5 pts of cheese, played farmville, went to wedding, watered our asparagus patches and the tulips, watched a movie, got our bountiful baskets and put the produce up. A very productive day with a little bit of fun!

1 comment:
Looks like fun. I will call and ask questions later but if this replaces a water-bath canner; I am going to purchase a couple. Thanks for posting this.
Isaac
Post a Comment